the smell of my desperation has become a stench

• Shiz

2004/11/02 at 7:34 am

My husband was in Houston, TX, for halloween on business, and nervous about all the very pre-election stuff flying around. He made it home, to Canada, in one piece. The non-US world LONGS for this day to be over.

I’m a dual citizen (Canada & USA) by birth. I voted absentee over a month ago and did not leave any hanging chads. I hope we get through this whole thing without violence and at that when it’s all said and done, America will be a little less scary.

• Liz

2004/11/02 at 7:35 am

I’m in Florida, and I waited 90 minutes in line this morning to cast my vote for Kerry. The ‘early voting’ sites have been swamped- 5 hour wait yesterday! Here’s hoping I’m a blue voter in a blue state (I put my daughter in blue socks this morning for luck!).

• kim

2004/11/02 at 7:35 am

i am peeing my pants – that’s how nervous i am about the election over there. if i was american i would SO VOTE KERRY! i’m gonna go home now and watch TV all night to see what’s happening.. did leta wear her “mommy wants..”-shirt? have a good e-day ;o)

• The Mighty Jimbo

2004/11/02 at 7:38 am

bill and opus, now more than ever.

• JM

2004/11/02 at 7:38 am

Voted blue is a state swinging in the breeze.

• Torrie

2004/11/02 at 7:39 am

I voted and it felt great!

• JM

2004/11/02 at 7:39 am

Darn, that should be IN a state…

• Tim

2004/11/02 at 7:40 am

Liz,

I am having a party tonight (hopefully of the victory variety) and chose the more expensive blue cups over the cheaper red ones….

-signed one of those “unintelligent” kerry supporters (who has a law degree)

• tonya

2004/11/02 at 7:41 am

It’s totally childish of me, but I’m really pissed that I didn’t get my “I Voted!” sticker. 😛

I may have voted blue in a red state, but I did make sure and vote NO on the amendment to ban gay marriage.

• jodi-no-blog

2004/11/02 at 7:41 am

I voted today at 7:50 am Eastern Standard Time. There were 2 other people there voting. No long lines in my little town, thank goodness. Not that folks aren’t voting. I think they have it organized well, so there aren’t 10,000 people voting at one place.

And maybe this sounds totally weird (or PMS-ish) but I got all emotional and teary eyed about it when I left the booth! I felt proud that I did it, and proud that I have a right to vote, and scared because this is such an important election, and hopeful that everyone who can vote will vote… for the right person. OOPS! I mean the CORRECT person.

Yeah, I’m a weirdo…

• Greg

2004/11/02 at 7:45 am

I didn’t vote; I think it’s dumb.

Nah, just kidding. But since half of my blog links are shouting this advice at me today, I’m feeling contrary.

• Dre

2004/11/02 at 7:46 am

I voted at 6 a.m. Lines in St. Louis were insane already at that hour.

Funny story: Set my alarm for 5:45 to run up to my neighborhood polling place and vote, hoping to have time to get to the gym to work out before work.

I’d worked out the night before, and after working out, I fell asleep in my work-out clothes: orange cotton knit pants (my Halloween pants!), a fuschia-y/purple-y sports bra, and an oversized baby blue Gap t-shirt.

So when I woke up, I decided to just run to the polls in efforts to beat the crowds. I threw on a blue sweatshirt over my hideous get-up, and jotted up to the school where I was to vote.

Fiance and I waited in line for 45 minutes, and when I got up to table, I signed where told to, and in the middle of this whole “transaction” an election worker has a lady in the line next to me butt-in in front of me because she was improperly registered under a different last name. Not my problem. I understood where she was coming from though, and all I wanted was my ballot handed to me so I could go vote. The poll worker went on to explain that the lady had been waiting in line a long time. So I say, “I’ve been waiting in line a long time, too — can I have my ballot first before you take her?” Oh, that did not make them happy. All I’m saying, folks, is do it like business — finish the damn transaction. That was like being at Target and the cashier starting to ring up another customer before they even handed me my change.

So I go to the little booth, and shove my ballot in. I take the poker thing and start to make my selections. I voted straight party (D.E.M.O.C.R.A.T.) but I couldn’t get the damn poker to poke out a hole. My thinger was rigged, I thought to myself. I worried, “Perhaps this is punishment for voting straight Republican in last year’s election.” (Which I did because my father died two days before the 2000 election day and was a devoted Republican, so I voted in honor of him…)

Well, turns out, I had stupidly folded the ballot in half, when the booth and ballot clearly inform voters otherwise, that you are suppposed to leave the ballot in its full length.

So my fiance is next to me, and I’m whispering, “I broke the booth.” I go to find an election worker, but they’re all busy. And, my frank opinion anyway, is that the majority of the wokers aren’t much help anyway — most of them (at least at my polling place) are 65 years or older, jobless and are working to get $85.

Finally, the person who comes to help me is the lady who I was hasty with earlier. I bite my pride, and take her help. She gets me a new ballot, tells me that I’ll have to go to another booth because I’ve broken this booth. I look back at the line of voters impatiently waiting with their ballots to cast their votes. I told my fiance, “No fucking hell way am I waiting in that line all over again.” So we shake the voting thing-a-ma-jiggie upside down. That doesn’t work. Finally, my fiance took the poker thing and worked the ballot out.

What a clusterfuck. And it was all caused by me.

Maybe dumb people like me shouldn’t be able to vote.

But I did anyway.

• Mo

2004/11/02 at 7:46 am

First time voter, and MAN was it a RUSH!!!
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! DEMOCRATIC PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Suzy

2004/11/02 at 7:48 am

Red, red, red…I see red!!!

• Megan

2004/11/02 at 7:50 am

I voted blue in a red state. I live in GA and last night I had a dream that GA went blue for the first time in a really long time (if ever!). I got a sticker too, it rules. I felt really good about the sticker. I would like to say that I hate reading the comments when people act like jerks like someone above did. Is it really necessary to act like a jerk in the comments section? I don’t think so.

• Dre

2004/11/02 at 7:52 am

TIM IN ST. LOUIS — What part of the city are you in? I’m near the Hill.

Go Kerry!

• SuMMer

2004/11/02 at 7:52 am

I voted blue in the super-swingin’ state of Pennsylvania(home of the most candidate kiss-ass visits) at 8 am this morning, and had to stand in line for 2 hours. I didn’t get any damn sticker, and I’m definitely feeling ripped off!
    I did make sure to wear my lovely anti-bush shirt, and my dog is running around with his ‘Dogs against Bush’ bandanna today. Good times.

• Dre

2004/11/02 at 7:56 am

Whoops – meant to say that I voted Republican in the LAST election, not LAST YEAR’S election. Just had to clarify because I believe that my story above makes me sound like a complete idiotic moron, and I don’t want to embarrass all Democratic voters just because I’m ONE dumb Democratic voter.

• m

2004/11/02 at 8:00 am

My household voted by absentee ballot, proudly for KERRY!

Even though CA should be safely going to Kerry, I still think it is important to vote. It’s my right, hard earned by women before me, and I’m not tossing it away. As we all know, there is more on the ballot than the presidential choice. The anxiety and the media barrage is wearing for everyone, but don’t let it get to you – go vote!

Plus, if we all pull together, we can get Bush & the Puppetmaster OUT of office! That would be awesome!

• reenie

2004/11/02 at 8:02 am

In the pic of you & Leta traversing the office, she looks like she’s scoffing at someone’s costume choice. Too much cuteness for me this morning. ;o)
    There was an hour wait in line this morning – I’ll be going after work.

• cindypie

2004/11/02 at 8:03 am

i hope “sarcastic journalist” walks in front of a bus who’s driver thinks that paying attention to traffic signals “doesn’t matter”.

I voted! Everyone who’s voting – you rock!!

• Aspenchick

2004/11/02 at 8:06 am

I voted…but I didn’t get my damn sticker!

• seannarae

2004/11/02 at 8:08 am

THE POOR VOTER ON ELECTION DAY.

THE proudest now is but my peer,
    The highest not more high;
    To-day, of all the weary year,
    A king of men am I.
    To-day, alike are great and small,
    The nameless and the known;
    My palace is the people’s hall,
    The ballot-box my throne!

Who serves to-day upon the list
    Beside the served shall stand;
    Alike the brown and wrinkled fist,
    The gloved and dainty hand!
    The rich is level with the poor,
    The weak is strong to-day;
    And sleekest broadcloth counts no more
    Than homespun frock of gray.

To-day let pomp and vain pretence
    My stubborn right abide;
    I set a plain man’s common sense
    Against the pedant’s pride.
    To-day shall simple manhood try
    The strength of gold and land;
    The wide world has not wealth to buy
    The power in my right hand!

While there’s a grief to seek redress,
    Or balance to adjust,
    Where weighs our living manhood less
    Than Mammon’s vilest dust,–
    While there’s a right to need my vote,
    A wrong to sweep away,
    Up! clouted knee and ragged coat
    A man’s a man to-day

– John Greenleaf Whittier, 1848

• Molly

2004/11/02 at 8:09 am

Voted, and I am happy I did!

I even got my “I Voted, did YOU?” sticker.. 🙂

From the Swinging State of Wisconsin!

• ranae

2004/11/02 at 8:10 am

yeah for voting – i will be voting blue in a few short hours 🙂 i found this and wanted to share it with everyone.

There goes my money

Bye bye deficits
    He’s so compassionless
    He doesn’t even try
    Bye bye Bush
    Bye bye joblessness
    Hello happiness
    It’s too bad for the rich guy,
    Goodbye to Bush, goodbye

Hello shamelessness
    The oilmen aren’t shy
    Buy, Buy Bush
    Saddam’s weaponless
    But hello Iraq mess
    It doesn’t matter why
    They’ll buy that Bush and lie

I’m through with Bushes
    I’m through with war
    I want the good times
    we had before
    He can take his Rumsfeld,
    his Ashcroft too,
    ’cause come November
    his time is through

Bye bye Bush
    Bye bye embarrassment
    He’s not our President
    Supreme Court let him by
    Bye, bye Bush
    We’re going to make you pay
    On Election Day
    It’s time to say goodbye
    Goodbye George Bush, Goodbye

(courtesy of http://irregulartimes.com/byebyebush.html)

• Chris

2004/11/02 at 8:13 am

Remember back during the 2000 election when, I believe it was Alec Baldwin or somebody who said they would move to Canada if Bush won? I’m pretty sure that move to Canada never happened, but I may do JUST THAT if, by some nauseating turn of events, he wins this time.

(In my best Tom Cruise-as-Jerry McGuire voice I can muster) “Who’s coming with me?”

• trudie

2004/11/02 at 8:13 am

i voted absentee last thursday, but i actually got to use a machine instead of bubbling in all those bubbles with my trusty #2 pencil. i’ve been doing the retarded/drunk voting chicken dance since then–i just can’t stop! i’m quite disappointed i didn’t get a sticker… i still have the one i got when i voted in my very first election, all of 8 years ago!

• Ev

2004/11/02 at 8:14 am

I’ve been voting since 1968 and this was the most satisfying vote I have ever cast. And it’s gonna be Kerry in a landslide! People don’t stand in four hour lines in 90 degree weather (FL) to vote for an incumbent. The only question is whether the Bush bunch will actually LEAVE the White House. Somehow I can’t imagine Bush doing a concession speech. Remember when he lost a primary to McCain and he wouldn’t even make the traditional congratulatory concession phone call? Not a class act. Thank God we’re almost rid of him.

• discopitbull

2004/11/02 at 8:16 am

Voting blue in a purple state today. Friend just got back after spending three hours (!) in line. What’s great about being a Cheesehead? Yesterday I received no less than five calls from five different democratic organizations, urging me to vote. Nice to be in a swing state. Nicer even still to know that I had these organization’s promises to protect me at the polls should I feel intimidated, harrassed or threatened in any manner. I told them “I may live in a ghetto, but it’s a RURAL ghetto…” I think I can fight off the harrassing republican farmer as long as he doesn’t bring his posse committatus friends or ride his John Deer down to the fire station; gotta watch out for them PTOs.

• marie

2004/11/02 at 8:16 am

oh, how i wish i could vote. damn me being a non-us citizen living in texas.

i should’ve known better.

• tracie

2004/11/02 at 8:19 am

I’m in Texas also- and I voted on October 18th- first day of early voting- I know that the 15 biggest counties in Texas had RECORD numbers for early voting- you never know folks- Kerry could pull it off…..I was awakened this morning by Bush (apparently) flying over my house as I’m close to his landing spot when he comes to the ranch- I wanted to run outside and give a big finger to Marine One. Go Kerry!

• Christine

2004/11/02 at 8:20 am

Woman. Master Artist. College professor. Unapologetically conservative.

I voted early, for *George W. Bush.*

(And it felt gooooooooood…)

Best wishes to all on this important day in our nation’s history. May the best man win!

• Sue From Ohio

2004/11/02 at 8:21 am

I voted, WOOHOO!!!! I was up at 6am getting my oldest ready

• SueFromOhio

2004/11/02 at 8:22 am

OOPS sorry…
    anywho I was ready to vote then but my hsband had to doink around until about 8:30 but my vote has been cast!!!!!

• Heatheranne

2004/11/02 at 8:22 am

I voted. I even posted my cute little “I voted today” sticker in my blog because I’m just so proud.

• Tim

2004/11/02 at 8:23 am

DRE IN ST. LOUIS:

I am in Lafayette Square (Park and 18th). Also, you are welcome at our party tonight to watch election results. For more info:
    tyeaglin@lrf.com

• Daniel

2004/11/02 at 8:24 am

I voted in an elementary school cafeteria and voting for John Kerry made me forget the putrid smell of mass-produced Italian salad dressing and spoiled milk.

• popsicle

2004/11/02 at 8:28 am

i voted. i like voting. i like alot of things, but i really like to vote. there is just something so powerfully liberating about it. go voters. then, as im leaving the poll, they were handing out ‘i voted’ stickers she said to wear. i took the sticker, but immediately thought ‘no, im not wearing that’. i dont give a rats ass if anyone else knows i voted. i know i did, so that’s all that mattered. cheers to a bigger and brighter next 4 years america. peace.

• Alaska

2004/11/02 at 8:30 am

I voted at exactly 7am, third in line.

I’ve never been so nervous in all my adult days. I couldn’t stop farting in the booth, which made me laugh. I was a laughing, farting, Kerry-votin’ machine.

I even made myself a cheat-sheet last night on all the ballots and state representatives. I AM A GEEK.

• BarefootGoddess

2004/11/02 at 8:31 am

VOTE! Or P. Diddy will kill you.

OK, I took that from theonion.com, but it’s still damn funny.
    Now GO VOTE

• Mari

2004/11/02 at 8:32 am

I voted bright and early this morning. Good thing, too – it’s pouring rain now.

And hey! I noted that George was wearing a Kentucky shirt. Is he from Kentucky?? I am. 😀

• Susie

2004/11/02 at 8:37 am

Good for you, taking Leta the American Girl to vote! I do a voting dance, too. I have taken my kid with me to the polls for years, since she was Leta’s age. I give her my “I voted” sticker, and a speech about how WE GET TO DO THIS BECAUSE WE LIVE IN AMERICA!! It is a day for celebration, no matter who wins, just because we live here and we can do this today. (Star-Spangled Banner plays in background . . . )

• Christine

2004/11/02 at 8:42 am

Susie: Good for you! Your post made me smile. You sound like a great mom. 🙂

(Plays the Star-Spangled Banner in honor of Susie and the Kid!)

• newmomfromtucson

2004/11/02 at 8:44 am

Re-elect Bush as President. Of France!!!!!

Voting blue in AZ. Go Kerry!

• tracy

2004/11/02 at 8:45 am

Got my sticker! While my vote for president will be largely irrelevant (after all, I’m a blue voter in a red state), it still makes a statement. And that statement is that some of us think the electoral college sucks. Big time. And we have a nasty state senate race and a whole slew of state questions… so even if your presidential vote is moot, the rest may not be.

• Michelle

2004/11/02 at 8:54 am

Voted Kerry in Massachusetts…what are these stickers everyone is talking about? I did not get a sticker.

• Ari

2004/11/02 at 8:56 am

to Chris….yahoo has job listings in Toronto….I was checking them this morning. My wife was born in Canada and if Bush wins and starts appointing supreme court justices I want to be prepared to get out before the constitution is overturned.

• beck

2004/11/02 at 8:56 am

I voted!
    Chuck is such a good, patient boy. My dog would have ripped the costume to shreds, then ripped me to shreds for desert.

• Lisa

2004/11/02 at 8:57 am

I voted in Pennyslvania! I told my hubby that if Bush wins in PA that we will just have to move… It would just be too embarrassing!

Go Kerry!

Visit Librarians Against Bush

• kingbenny

2004/11/02 at 8:57 am

I thought I would toy with the other side by putting a little speck on the kerry box before filling in the bush box very very dark black, it was so much fun.