the smell of my desperation has become a stench

Even I can’t believe I’m allowed to have a dog

One late evening last October Jon and I finished the last few scoops of a carton of Cookies ‘N Cream ice cream. Chuck was practicing Opus Dei rituals in the basement when he heard us walking toward the freezer in the kitchen and before we knew it he had drooled a path up the stairs. Jon and I sat on the couch in the living room with the carton of ice cream between us as Chuck pressed his wet nose into my knee. Whenever we sit down to have a meal he walks over to my leg and presses his snout firmly into my flesh. It’s his way of saying, “Remember me? I’m cute.”

After we finished off the ice cream that night I made Chuck perform a few tricks and then I held the carton at an angle so he could get at the melted goo at the bottom of the carton. By that point he was so ravenous that the force of his tongue pulled the ice cream carton out of my hands and lodged it firmly on his face. He didn’t make any indication that he was in discomfort so instead of pulling it off his snout we grabbed the cameras. I posted the digital photos of this circus act here, and today I found the video which you can see here. In it you can actually hear the sound of his lapping tongue suctioning the cardboard to his face.

(For those of you who don’t have Quicktime installed on your computer you should be able to see this video if you have the Flash player, the latest version of which you can find here. If you have any other problems viewing the video leave the details in the comments along with the Anti-Ice Cream Carton on the Dog Snout Activists who will yell at me for attempting to suffocate my dog. It should be good times!)

• jm@houseinprogress

2006/04/05 at 3:25 pm

If doing that to your dog is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

And I think most dogs would agree with me.

• patreesha

2006/04/05 at 3:21 pm

Does Chuck do okay with chocolate?

• Sally

2006/04/05 at 3:21 pm

Happiest face on our white lab dog? Following the exact same exercise it leaves a chocolate (yeah, I know, it’ll kill her) ring around her face – above the brows, under the chin, around the cheeks!

I’m not sure why people scold me on this when I share that she’s eaten more chocolate, ice cream and chocolate cake in her lifetime than any human. She also runs five miles a day and she’s HAPPY!! I suppose if it’s going to kill her (or Chuck for that matter), she’ll die with a smile on her face!

• Erika

2006/04/05 at 3:16 pm

Wow, you should consider taking Chuck’s act on a across country tour. I’m sure millions would turn out to see the abused ice cream cartoned dog. I know I would. Keep us posted.

• twest

2006/04/05 at 3:18 pm

Mmmmmm stew…. Here’s to the dog snout activists!! 🙂

• belletoes

2006/04/05 at 3:15 pm

I know ya’ll don’t drink beer but, we used to put little pieces of dog food in an empty twelve pack container. My dog Trigger who has been hospitalized on at least 4 occasions for gluttony bloat, would amuse us for hours with his head stuck in it. Though I was surprised not to hear you all howling with laughter like we used to!
    I love Chuck. I have a four year old girl named Moe Moe Shanaynay who looks a lot like Chuck and I think they would get along splendidly! Thanks for all the laughs.

• shinygood

2006/04/05 at 3:14 pm

last week, i was able to see the video of babychuck but with this one i just see a little white box with blank “play/pause” and “volume” buttons. i can hear audio of dogtongue and doocegiggling, but that’s it. (G4 running OSX)
    people like you should be given MORE dogs, and more stcky things to pop on those dogs’ heads. bravo.

• Wendy Mac

2006/04/05 at 3:14 pm

My dog will eat just about anything. My daughter has taught him to eat her boogers. Handy, isn’t it?

Now, if only he would get that excited about something as cool as ice cream, like Chuck!

• Shalini

2006/04/05 at 3:13 pm

That was so funny… I love how Chuck was just ready to sit and take the ice cream carton. Animals are wonderful for hours of entertainment!

• simzgirl

2006/04/05 at 3:13 pm

That is hilarious! I am sure, given the chance, my dogs would do the exact same thing! That is great. Thanks for sharing!

• Billygean.co.uk

2006/04/05 at 3:07 pm

My boyfriend and I think chuck is adorable and boyfriend always remarks that he’s so slender his head/neck merge (i mean this in nicest way possible!). With a carton on this is exemplified and is thus adorable 🙂

Billygean

• Ngaire

2006/04/05 at 3:09 pm

LOVE it !! Lol what good are kids and pets if not to amuse us!!

LOVE the blog btw.. Its just so… LIFE!!

Ngaire In Brisbane Australia
    xx

• lixxie

2006/04/05 at 3:06 pm

Bwah!

• FlakeyBlakee

2006/04/05 at 3:02 pm

Thats too funny. We used to do that with our little pug dog. Cept we had to cut the carton in half so he could get his little face on the bottom.

• Mrs. Ricardo

2006/04/05 at 3:02 pm

Between Leta and Chuck I think you two have more fun than Utah allows. 😉

• Duane

2006/04/05 at 3:04 pm

How utterly cruel. You should never be allowed to buy ice cream again. Or something like that…

• JennJenn

2006/04/05 at 3:06 pm

Bisket, my old dog, loved chocolate. So much so, that in her lifetime, I’m guessing she went through about 10lbs of the stuff.

Though, that’s not what finally killed her.
    Strokes and Epileptic fits did her in. God I miss her.

Anywho, to sum it up, chocolate doesn’t kill ALL dogs.
    So live it up!

• erin

2006/04/05 at 3:06 pm

That was GREAT. I loved the picture when you first posted it – and the video is just the icing on the cake. I’ve got to watch that again.