Introducing…

Marlo Iris Armstrong
7lbs. 15oz.
21 inches long
born at 1:53 AM, 06/14/2009, her official due date

Her middle name was chosen to honor Jon’s aunt Iris who passed away last summer, a generous, gentle woman whose life was filled with all sorts of music. Her first name? Well, it just kicks a lot of ass.

Marlo looks remarkably more like a Hamilton than an Armstrong and probably resembles my father more than anyone else. Although, she has an incredibly deep dimple on the left side of her face, something she inherited from two of Jon’s sisters.

Leta looked very much like a frog when she was a newborn. Marlo looks like a glowworm.

Labor was an absolute thrill ride that I will write about in detail later this week, but first I need to get some sleep, not easy when this baby takes to picketing and lobbying congress when removed from my boob.

You may call her Marlo, Lo, Lil Donette, or Butternut Boo.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes and prayers. It’s been a blast having you all along for the ride.

3,248 Comments
  • danurka

2009/06/18 at 3:41 am

hello heather, congratulations with your new (and gorgeous) baby. and, speaking about older one – I think you’ll find this commercial useful and (or) just funny:

• MaggieJiggs

2009/06/18 at 3:44 am

If you’d named her Mia, she’d have the same initials and name:) Happiness to the four of you!!!

• Ness

2009/06/18 at 4:21 am

Congratulations!! she’s beautiful and i love the name :0)

• ~Kristi

2009/06/18 at 4:51 am

Congratulaions! Your right, the name kicks ass. She will love it when she is old enough to appreciate it.
    Take care and get some sleep.

• Lee

2009/06/18 at 5:10 am

What a beautiful baby. She’s so nice and rounded and has to be one of the most non-Winston Churchill-looking babies I’ve ever seen. I love the name. Marlo was the name of one of the killer drug lord characters on The Wire… Her nickname really needs to be Donette, she looks just like a cute little doughnut.
    be happy
    enjoy

• Kelly

2009/06/18 at 5:49 am

Congrats on your beautiful little Lo!

• Claus D Jensen

2009/06/18 at 6:04 am

A huge CONGRATULATIONS!!

She is pretty!!

And to the baby: Welcome to the World!! 😀

Warm greetings,
    Claus D Jensen

• Carol from South Africa

2009/06/18 at 6:07 am

Dear Heather

I read your entire blog, some time ago, right from the beginning, and have been checking in every day since from about the time you eloped. You have had an incredible journey.

And now Marlo. Amazing and miraculous. So spellbound, moved, happy for you guys.

Looking forward to hearing about the labour and birth of your precious Marlo Iris.

To you, Marlo, Leta, Jon and those totally beautiful dogs, I wish you everything that is good.

Carol

• James

2009/06/18 at 6:14 am

Congradulations y’all!!

• Heather S.

2009/06/18 at 6:29 am

Congratulations, she’s beautiful & so is her name!
    Welcome to the world Marlo =)

• galaxygirl78

2009/06/18 at 6:36 am

Congratulations!!! She’s absolutely beautiful! Those cheeks! LOVE LOVE LOVE her name! LETA! Welcome to Big Sisterville! Population YOU!

So happy for you guys – I can’t to read more about your all new adventure as a family of four!!

LOVE YOU GUYS!

• Heather

2009/06/18 at 6:54 am

Congratulations!

Absolutley adorable!!! Brings tears to my eyes!!!

• JenX

2009/06/18 at 6:55 am

What an exciting journey. Get enough sleep, and I can’t wait to read your posts about Marlo’s first days.

• Idania

2009/06/18 at 6:57 am

Holy comments Batman! You’re going to spend the next week reading all of them!

Congratulations on Marlo! I had my second girl 5 months ago and I hope you’ll have as much fun as I am!

• Melissa

2009/06/18 at 7:10 am

Holy Smokes Batman, over 3200 comments! Wow…

Congrats on your new addition. Enjoy her!

• Sara Bonds

2009/06/18 at 7:21 am

What a beauty she is. Congrats to you and your family!!

• HumHumViz

2009/06/18 at 8:09 am

Wow, I don’t usually get teary with Mom and baby photos but the one with you and Marlo is amazing because you both look like you weathered the birth so amazingly well. (ok you both look a little, angelic, really) Like that’s how its supposed to be. Congratulations for the 3987th time or so. Hope the rest of the gang is doing as well.

• Krista

2009/06/18 at 8:12 am

Heather she is beautiful!!! And I love the name – Marlo Iris is gorgeous! Get some rest and enjoy this amazing time getting to know little Marlo!

• OneSidedMomma

2009/06/18 at 8:17 am

She’s gorgeous with that pouty pout pout! SUCH a pretty little newbie. We hope Mommy, Daddy, and Big Sis are all adjusting to the new life as four. xoxox

• Andie

2009/06/18 at 8:23 am

I am sure you hardly have time to read all of these comments, but just for the record, I wanted to say Congratulations! She fits her name perfectly – adorable! 🙂

• Lisa

2009/06/18 at 8:23 am

Congratulations!

Marlo is sweet as a peach.

Now the fun begins.

• kcbelles

2009/06/18 at 8:31 am

WOW – congrats to the Armstrong family! Lovely name – so much better than not-Maria! I know you’ll probably never read all the way to the 3,322nd comment, but I had to put my two cents in. Thanks for sharing your journey. Looking forward to hearing more about Leta and Marlo. God, I find it amazing how much I care about people I’ve never met and will never meet, but it’s almost like a soap (which is odd, cuz I’m not a soap fan). Always gotta go check and see what the Hamilton/Armstrong family is up to :O) Cheers!

• BobbieLee

2009/06/18 at 8:32 am

What a beautiful little girl! She is so lucky to have such a loving family and especially a sister who has been anxiously awaiting her arrival. Welcome and congratulations!

• Lori

2009/06/18 at 8:34 am

Adorable! Congrats!

• Tammy Mellish

2009/06/18 at 8:34 am

She’s absolutely beautiful.. her eyes and mouth remind me so much of Leta’s, and she is born on my son Samuel’s birthday (he’s 8 now)! Congratulations.. enjoy every single second with her!

• Joseph

2009/06/18 at 8:39 am

Congratulations! My wife just gave birth to our first baby a little boy on Monday. I hope you get lots of rest!

• Fred

2009/06/18 at 8:46 am

My most heartfelt congratulations.

• Single Mom in New England

2009/06/18 at 9:02 am

That is the cutest newborn I’ve ever seen. She looks like she’s 3 months old already! Congratulations on your healthy baby girl. She is a happy little cherub.

• Kerri

2009/06/18 at 9:05 am

Look at that last photo! She’s so beautiful!!!! Congratulations to your whole family (and a special congratulations to Leta on becoming a big sister!)

• Aveyinc

2009/06/18 at 9:09 am

Well done Dooce!
    She is beautiful!

• Anonymous

2009/06/18 at 9:28 am

I have a MARLO too! She is 10 months old. This is only the second one I’ve ever heard of besides Rob Cordrry the actor/daily show write. I’m kind pissed at you both for copying or we’re kindred spirits!! Congrats. The name does kick ass!

• rockabyedad

2009/06/18 at 9:29 am

First Name Does Kick Ass!

Congratulations!

• Andrea

2009/06/18 at 9:34 am

Congratulations!! I can almost smell the new baby smell through the screen. It’s the most intoxicating smell in the world, and I hope you’re absolutely drunk from it.

• Lynda

2009/06/18 at 9:36 am

Congratulations! She’s beautiful and you look great!
    I love how her initials spell out MIA. It gives her an air of mystery. 🙂

• Rachelskirts

2009/06/18 at 9:44 am

Congratulations, Heather and Jon (and Leta and Chuck and Coco)! And welcome to your crazy internet family, Marlo. 🙂

• ORKMommy

2009/06/18 at 9:47 am

She is absolutely beautiful! I can’t wait to share the next chapter in the Armstrong family story with you guys.

So, I just finished reading your book over the weekend and the part where Jon didn’t want you to take Leta out of the house without socks on really stuck with me…then today I stumbled across these – http://www.trumpette.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=129&CFID=17941832&CFTOKEN=c91cd33fbfa87a40-E472C0F7-D61C-E357-D0C0DB664F0AB3D4. Marlo just has to have these!!! And it will make daddy happy too!

• Marie

2009/06/18 at 9:56 am

She is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!

• Sarah

2009/06/18 at 10:02 am

Congrats! I almost emailed Marlo’s baby photos to the office because I was so excited at her birth.

But then I remembered you are my “pretend” friend…

Wish you all the best and thanks for the journey! I hope to face having a child with all the love and grace you display.

Cheers!

• andrea

2009/06/18 at 10:28 am

absolutely beautiful baby – congratulations. So happy for your family!

• RobynBuie

2009/06/18 at 10:32 am

Congratulations on your beautiful new baby girl! I bet Leta is so proud that she is acting like she did it herself. My older kids always did. Marlo is gorgeous…I especially liked the look she was giving in the second picture. It looked like she was saying, “what the h*ll am I doing OUT HERE?!?!” She also looks like she will have some of her mother’s spirit. (Sorry if that scares you)

On the breastfeeding thing, my youngest is the same way about not wanting to let go. He is 9 mos. now, and I still have to pay attention to ONLY him when he wants “Boo Boo.” LOL It gets better, though, and a lot quicker, so hang in there!

P.S. I hate you for having such a short labor and looking so good after having a baby! LOL

• Caitlin

2009/06/18 at 10:33 am

that is the yummiest looking glowworm i ever done see!

• Ungirdled Passion

2009/06/18 at 10:39 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Beautiful baby and beautiful (in an ass-kickin’ way) name!

• Amanda

2009/06/18 at 10:45 am

She’s gorgeous! I can’t wait to see & read more about Marlo in the coming months & years.

• Lindsey

2009/06/18 at 10:54 am

Alright, Armstrong. Make with the sister pictures! You’re killing me over here!

(Congratulations.)

• Kelly

2009/06/18 at 11:00 am

Congratulations to the whole family. Marlo is beautiful. Hopefully enough time has passed that she won’t have to endure a lifetime of being called That Girl! Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

• Monique

2009/06/18 at 11:33 am

Amazing. Beautiful. Wow.

• WENDY

2009/06/18 at 11:36 am

Simply Gorgeous! MIA catchy

• Christine

2009/06/18 at 11:44 am

I have a nice cold beer all ready for when you post your labor story. I will probably jump up, squeal, and run to the fridge for booze. What will my family think? Probably nothing out of the ordinary, actually.
    First rate baby, baby name (and initials); congratulations!