Oh noes! Here her goes again!

So I’m going to go ahead and risk being beheaded by opening up this wound again, but I want to post this video and encourage you to watch it for a couple of reasons (you’ll have to sit through a 15 second commercial, I have no control over that, but it’s important enough to endure that inconvenience):

First, this one minute and twenty-eight second video perfectly sums up why the selection of Sarah Palin as a vice presidential candidate scares the holy living shit out of me. To me, this is clearly an example of why they are not letting her talk to the press more because it appears as if she has no idea what she’s talking about.

Two, I am genuinely interested in hearing from fans of Palin. I want to know why you think she’s qualified, and why you’d vote for a man who would choose to run with someone like this.

No name calling, no hurling of insults. I’d just really like to hear your side.

1,213 Comments
  • CooperDoo

2008/09/25 at 1:31 pm

Help. Us. All.

• Sandi

2008/09/25 at 1:31 pm

I tried to watch, but the “content is unavailable”.

• Kate

2008/09/25 at 1:32 pm

Heather,

You are speaking for lots of us. She scares the shit out of me too.

• Daddy Scratches

2008/09/25 at 1:32 pm

Yeah, but Heather: She’s so … so …. *folksy*!

Here’s a good summation:

• Kristy

2008/09/25 at 1:32 pm

she scares me too… is this really what we’re down to… seriously… Heather – did you see the clip of her in church being blessed by her minister as he prayed she would never be plagued by witchcraft?

• Amy

2008/09/25 at 1:32 pm

Yeah. Not going to cut it!

• De Anna

2008/09/25 at 1:33 pm

Not working. CooperDoodidit!

• MC

2008/09/25 at 1:33 pm

Wow. I think that’s the first time really watching her speak. That was slightly painful…

• Sandi

2008/09/25 at 1:33 pm

Oh God. It worked the second time I tried, and holy crap, what nonsense.

• WeirdAuntMartha

2008/09/25 at 1:34 pm

It won’t play!

• Lisa

2008/09/25 at 1:36 pm

I watched Bill Clinton on the daily show the other day. It just reminds you what an unscripted conversation about the country with someone who has a f***ing clue should sound like. She has a lot of work ahead of her.

• victoria winters

2008/09/25 at 1:36 pm

I expect a lot more out of a vice presidential candidate than that, uterus or no uterus.

• Jennsa

2008/09/25 at 1:36 pm

Whattaya mean? She’s clearly well informed and well spoken on all issues relating to foreign policy. She obviously knows what she’s talking about.

Excuse me while I go throw up, just a litte.

• Republican

2008/09/25 at 1:37 pm

I have been a Republican my entire adult life. I feel the VP selection was done for political reasons.

• JLauren

2008/09/25 at 1:37 pm

I’d love to hear it too but everyone I ask who is a supporter of McCain/Palin speaks almost as intelligently about their choice as Palin did about the Bush Doctrine.

• Susan

2008/09/25 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Heather. I’ve been hoping you’d float one of these clips for discussion. I think we’re at the point now where Palin’s incompetence speaks for itself–you don’t even have to say anything that might incur your mom’s ever-so-elegant middle finger.

• WeirdAuntMartha

2008/09/25 at 1:37 pm

Dear Lord. Can I have my time back please?

EVERYONE GO VOTE!

• thecandyqueen

2008/09/25 at 1:37 pm

And just think, there’s like a 3 out of 4 chance that McCain will die during his term, and then she would be the PREZ! OMFG.

• Meredith

2008/09/25 at 1:37 pm

She gives me the heebie-jeebies big time, but I know a lot of people who are big fans. From what I gather, it has something to do with the fact that she comes across as “no nonsense” and has strong, conservative values. They see her as less of a dirty, sneaky politician, I suppose, and as more of a real, accessible person.

Who thought Tina Fey was spot-on on the SNL season opener?

• Nicola

2008/09/25 at 1:38 pm

But she’s just like you and me!!

• Dana

2008/09/25 at 1:38 pm

If they get elected…my husband promised me we could move to Canada…

I have a woman in my office who can’t shutup about her absolute lurve of Palin…”She’s just like us! It would be like your big sister running things!”

Wretched.

• ticia

2008/09/25 at 1:39 pm

Did she actually have anything to say? Am I mistaken in believing that someone other than the governor of Alaska negotiates trade agreements with and air patrols of Russia? Help me understand how that has anything to do with foreign policy. Please.

• Notsowee

2008/09/25 at 1:40 pm

I try to forgive “public speaking skills” to a point. I know I would be a wreck being interviewed.

That being said. She still didn’t SAY anything beyond “we border Russia”. I’m from Texas, I don’t recall anyone using the fact that we border Mexico as foreign policy credentials.

• Keri

2008/09/25 at 1:40 pm

WTF is she rambling about?

• poof

2008/09/25 at 1:40 pm

I think we should all vote for McCain because how else would we get to see the WTF look on Katie’s face?

• Jenjifer

2008/09/25 at 1:40 pm

I went to the CBS site to see it… by these standards, my 3-year-old son in speech therapy is an eloquent genius.

Just Wow.

• Dan

2008/09/25 at 1:41 pm

Oh my God…

This comes off like an SNL parody.

I hope some of her supporters comment here, ’cause I certainly don’t get it. Very scary times we live in.

• Claire

2008/09/25 at 1:41 pm

I would also like to encourage Palin supporters to come forward and voice their opinion. A couple of times now I’ve searched the internet for voices of support out of pure curiosity, and have struggled to come up with little more than “I like her glasses” and “What a pretty Pit Bull”. Anyone who can shed some light would be appreciated.

And to Lisa, #11, I absolutely agree.

• Anonymous

2008/09/25 at 1:41 pm

enough with the political commentary. We get it – you are a liberal and a socialist.

• Jeff

2008/09/25 at 1:41 pm

That’s Tina Fey, right? There’s no way the real candidate for VP could be that vapid, is there? Is there?

• Anonymous

2008/09/25 at 1:43 pm

i guess this sums it up. being “pretty” just doesn’t cut it and it really shows.

• Meredith

2008/09/25 at 1:43 pm

As a follow up to my previous comment, I thought I’d post the link, just in case anybody has not already watched it 800 times, as I have.

You’re welcome.

Best thing ever.

• M@

2008/09/25 at 1:43 pm

I totally agree with you, Heather.

I’ve interviewed a lot of Palin supporters and the common thread seems to be a feeling that she is “like [them]”. She’s the kind of person that they can relate to as a friend. It’s the same rationale that Bush ran on last time. A vast majority of the voters said that he was the kind of person they’d like to have a beer with.

It seems that people view Palin as a representation of the original American dream wherein “anyone can achieve anything”… clearly.

My feeling is that Obama represents that too, but he comes across as more educated or different than most of America, so they can relate to Palin more personally and can vicariously achieve something that was erstwhile out of reach.

• gingela5

2008/09/25 at 1:43 pm

I think she was picked because she’s a woman. I don’t necessarily agree with EITHER of the candidates however I really think McCain picked her because she’s a woman and to counter the fact that Obama is African American (That might sound bad I don’t mean it to at all!) Eeks!

• natalie

2008/09/25 at 1:43 pm

well, if it’s any consolation, people in brazil have begun voting for obama in their own elections. maybe, hopefully, it’s some indication of what will happen here.

• Anonymous

2008/09/25 at 1:44 pm

I am beyond appalled that she was allowed to speak at the UN. People in other countries may actually begin to believe that she is representative of our citizenry.

I wonder if there’s enough room for all of us in Canada, should McCain win. Eh?

• Nora

2008/09/25 at 1:45 pm

Last night, I stayed up late watching Joe Biden videos on the YouTube. Go look up his latest appearance on ‘Meet the Press.’ It’s like sorbet after this dooflotchy. Seriously.

• Khrystan

2008/09/25 at 1:45 pm

Agreed. However, maybe there was more to her interview than just that? Though I can’t say I like either candidate, I do think that this video may have been a little biased.

• BurbankFox

2008/09/25 at 1:45 pm

Here’s a telling insight:

Even when Heather doesn’t ask for comments, she usually gets several hundred. Now she’s ASKING for Palin supporter responses, and so far …? [crickets]

• Jill

2008/09/25 at 1:45 pm

Oh jeez. I babble like that. I am a Dork with a capital D in interviews. I stammer. I don’t make sense.

I’m also not in a position that requires that I sound intelligent and prepared and poised in public interviews. I will not be president of a large nation if the older man that I work with dies.

• Leah

2008/09/25 at 1:46 pm

I don’t think the ability to form coherent thoughts is even a factor in US elections anymore.

• Aimee

2008/09/25 at 1:46 pm

I don’t think you’re going to get a lot of women/men writing in to explain why they support Palin. I heard something on NPR the other day–some poll they took and the reasons those interviewed were giving included:

1. She seems just like you and me!
    2. She’s down-to-earth (in my mind, that’s a nice way of saying that she’s not very educated or experienced)
    3. She…uh, she’s…I like her glasses.
    4. She loves Jesus.
    5. She’s McCaine’s running mate.

It’s a joke. And a really really really bad one if McCaine wins.

• jackr

2008/09/25 at 1:46 pm

Well, but, come on, guys: she can put together almost 30% of a complete thought … it’s a step up from the present President, right?

• D

2008/09/25 at 1:47 pm

I’m Canadian — I can only get my US citizenship middle of next year — so I can’t vote yet. That’s a shame, really, because not only was that video uncomfortable to watch, I fear she might be retarded. And I’m not throwing that word around gratuitously — she really sounds like she doesn’t know her elbows from her knees.

• Giovanna Diaries

2008/09/25 at 1:47 pm

Yeah….scary! ????
    As oppose to someone who all he ever says is CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE.
    That should work.

I’m not for or against either. I’m just so grossed out by politicians it doesn’t matter what they say.

I just hope whoever is next does better than what we have now. Don’t think it would take much.

• Tory

2008/09/25 at 1:47 pm

I hate to quote the movie Billy Madison, but the following quote immediately came to mind:

..”Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

• Colleen

2008/09/25 at 1:47 pm

I may be young, but I don’t want someone “just like me” to become president. I want someone smarter, better educated, and capable of handling ALL the stresses that the job entails. Someone who took 6 years and 6 schools to get her bachelors degree doesn’t really fit that description.
    And a man who wants to suspend running for president because of a crisis in one sector of the county doesn’t strike me as someone who is capable of running the ENTIRE country for 4 years.

Obama/Biden 2008!

• wide eyed in wonder

2008/09/25 at 1:48 pm

Since I live in Florida, please feel free to consult me on any crisis regarding Cuba or the Caribbean. Sign me up for south of the border, too – a lot of residents here are Mexican, so I’ll be sure to keep an eye out to make sure they don’t cross into my yard-space and threaten our security as red-blooded Americans.

I find her logic (?!?) extremely flawed and will be voting the Democratic ticket.

• Kathleen

2008/09/25 at 1:48 pm

Holy F-ing S@#$%$. Enough said.

• Elizabeth Marie

2008/09/25 at 1:48 pm

Palin in full-on scary. She’s a total hypocrite (opting to have testing done before her down syndrome baby was born – a right she would deny her fellow women if she had her way) and completely inexperience. Anyone that goes after an innocent librarian that didn’t like the idea of banning books needs to actually spend some time in said library and read about the values this country was built on.

*Vote Obama 08*