Stuff I found while looking around
– Julien Palast’s “Textures of Time”
– Breaking Out The Broken English:
How strange, to be so important, to wield so much power, just because your version of the English language is the “right” one. How strange to be in a profession where people will pay you money to read words they wrote because their own, real, personal accent and dialect is “wrong.”
– The 17 Coolest Signatures Of Famous People Through History
– Eminem Terrified As Daughter Begins Dating Man Raised On His Music
– From the former lead singer of the Cocteau Twins:
The news that Buckley had disappeared – he drowned, swimming in the Wolf river in Memphis – came while Fraser was recording Teardrop with Massive Attack. “That was so weird,” she says. “I’d got letters out and I was thinking about him. That song’s kind of about him – that’s how it feels to me anyway.” It seems she is haunted by guilt: for not being there for Buckley, for everything. As she puts it: “I need to forgive myself.”
-RELATED: Unreleased acoustic track by Jeff Buckley and Elizabeth Fraser
– “We have spoilt a wild deer.” I am allowed to shake my head at the accent because I have the accent.
– “To survive I had to work hard jobs and afterwards I’d feel too tired and too stressed to paint. It’s very hard to create under those circumstances. Creativity is a delicate process.”
Even as our understanding of confidence expanded, however, we found that our original suspicion was dead-on: there is a particular crisis for women—a vast confidence gap that separates the sexes. Compared with men, women don’t consider themselves as ready for promotions, they predict they’ll do worse on tests, and they generally underestimate their abilities. This disparity stems from factors ranging from upbringing to biology.
– Stephen Colbert’s take on the Justin Beiber and Orlando Bloom dispute
– OH MY GOD UTAH SERIOUSLY: Language School Blogger Fired for Writing About Homophones
– Bricksy: LEGO Banksy
– More Engaging Copy For The Ten Commandments: “37 Things in Your Bedroom That You Need to Get Rid of Right Now, Like Adulteresses.”
– Just because I’m from Memphis: “Blue Suede Shoes” without the music
– Holy shit, no one show this to Marlo. I’m looking at you, Tish.
– What would it look like if people reacted in everyday situations the way soccer players do?
– Some of my favorite recent tweets:
I wish I could press a finger to this loud, profane, obnoxious boy's forehead and instantly transmit to him the sadness of being an adult.
— lanyard (@lanyardigan) September 20, 2012
I'm at my most ninja when someone comes to visit and I pretend I'm not home.
— KarKar (@sokangarude) July 14, 2014
*pretends to get electrocuted when I shake your dad's hand for the first time*
— THE NATEWOLF (@thenatewolf) April 23, 2014
[phone call from jail] hii honey.. dont get mad but remember when you told me not to get arrested tonight and i did the jerkoff motion
— chuuch (@ch000ch) May 31, 2014
Gary Busey is standing outside this McDonald's yelling GARY BUSEY at the Redbox machine.
— Bucky Isotope (@BuckyIsotope) May 16, 2014
I want to have two children so the one I love less will become a comedian
— Sarah Beattie (@nachosarah) July 17, 2014
Anything that tastes good is bad for you. Other than that life is great.
— andy lassner (@andylassner) July 9, 2014
If I was the editor of Vogue, I'd just put an actual skeleton on the cover with the headline, "Feel bad yet? You should, Fatty."
— bourgeois beth (@schoolyardalien) July 22, 2014
Want to buy a gun? Cool. Promise you're not crazy. Promise? Cool. Want birth control? Whoa, lady. Let me ask five old dudes real slow first
— Sam Grittner (@SamGrittner) July 5, 2014
Before kicking it over, have you even considered how long it took those ants to build that hill or where they'll move on such short notice?
— Loco Eric (@ericsshadow) July 30, 2014
[Hostage situation] Um I don't want to be "that hostage", but I just want to let you know I have a gluten allergy.
— Tommytoughstuff (@Tommytoughstuff) July 15, 2014