Hardest working dog on the Internet

The following video is inspired entirely by this one where a group of wacky Japanese people (aren’t they all?) are seeing how many treats they can stack onto one dog’s head. They get up to 32 treats before the dog collapses under the weight of temptation.

Here we’re able to stack 16 pieces of chicken jerky onto Chuck’s head, and we would have kept going but that’s all we had left in the bag. I’m sure this whole endeavor goes against every principle of dog psychology, and if we have permanently damaged him as a result at least we can say we had fun doing it.

Flash video
Quicktime movie

• HDC

2006/08/16 at 8:14 am

Yay Chuck! Such a good pup =)

• ryan

2006/08/16 at 8:15 am

now that is a hard working dog… dog willpower for sure.

• elizasmom

2006/08/16 at 8:16 am

Watching that?
    So much better than working…

• Amanda Harwood

2006/08/16 at 8:16 am

that’s the best yet- Chuck rocks!

• thexica

2006/08/16 at 8:18 am

I love that he just sits there for a second after you say ok. Like, he’s trying to wrap his brain around getting that much jerky!

• Stephanie

2006/08/16 at 8:21 am

My dog would be afraid of chicken jerky. Most especially if I tried to put it on her head. Other fears include: bottles, the garage, car rides, people, and delivery men. She’s kind of neurotic.
    Therefore, I must live vicariously through dogs like Chuck who seem well-adjusted and happy. Tell Chuck I said thank you–so very much.

• Tanya

2006/08/16 at 8:21 am

He is *such* a good boy.

• Abbey

2006/08/16 at 8:22 am

Oh I wish my dog could stand to have even one treat on her head. She just can’t take having a treat so near and it not be in her mouth.

Random…I am enjoying your quote on my Google Homepage… I saw Heather Armstrong and thought, “Dooce – Heather Armstrong?” So I clicked on the link and found a whole page of quotes of yours. You lucky girl!

• winwetz

2006/08/16 at 8:24 am

Did you know that you are one of the Quotes of the Day that appears on customized Google home pages? Congrats!

• she who daydreams

2006/08/16 at 8:25 am

oh, Chuck. he’s such a good sport.

• mslieder

2006/08/16 at 8:27 am

Chuck IS the wonderdog.

• Lolajb

2006/08/16 at 8:29 am

OK, Chuck’s eyes are clearly saying:
    “How can I be so deeply in love with such odd beings?!?!” and he has such an aura of resignation about him…
    “Sigh… OK… if THIS is what I have to do to entertain you humans…”
    He is like the best dog…ever.

• kidsmom

2006/08/16 at 8:30 am

The Dog Whisperer has nuttin’ on ya’ll. Chuck, you are a god.

• CrankMama

2006/08/16 at 8:31 am

I’m going to try this with my twins and animal cookies… Stay tuned…

• grammarqueen

2006/08/16 at 8:31 am

I want to marry Chuck and have his puppies!

• An Iowa Mom

2006/08/16 at 8:34 am

What a good sport Chuck is!! My dog can’t even have treats in the house without going after them, let along on his head.

Great dog and photo!

• Torrie

2006/08/16 at 8:35 am

That made my day.
    I will consider it my birhtday present.

• rivetergirl

2006/08/16 at 8:36 am

I like how at the end you tell him it’s OK and he still stands there, unmoving, like he thinks that it’ll never be OK.

• ecologista

2006/08/16 at 8:36 am

Even when my 14 year-old lab was on death’s door, he would have gone apeshiat after the first treat…Chuck, clearly, is not a real dog, but some sort of saint temporarily ensnared in a dog’s body.

• Amy Jo

2006/08/16 at 8:37 am

Simply brilliant!

• dyanna

2006/08/16 at 8:40 am

That is the funniest thing I’ve seen since… ever! I’m sitting at my desk CRYING and trying my darnest NOT to burst out laughing for fear that the powers that be will find out I’m not actually working on anything except watching Chuck!

• JavaJabber

2006/08/16 at 8:42 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a little while now. I really enjoy it. It’s great.

But today I decided to actually delurk and make a comment because, well, your dog made me do it.

I’ve NEVER been a dog person. I LOVE cats.

But seeing how disciplined and gentle your dog is while he patiently sits and lets you pile up that jerky on his head and snout … well, if I could have a dog just like him? I would. He’s soooooo cool!

He must love you to pieces!

• Vaguely Urban

2006/08/16 at 8:46 am

Those are some pretty impressive balancing skills you have. You deserve a treat too – jerky, or otherwise.

• jon deal

2006/08/16 at 8:47 am

We do the same thing with our toddler and pancakes.

She doesn’t like it when we add syrup, though.

• Valeria

2006/08/16 at 8:48 am

Well, if it’s true that the meek shall inherit the Earth, then Chuck will surely be crowned king one day 🙂

Actually Heather, it looks like your whole family is moving ever so closer toward world domination, not just Chuck. Did you see that today you’re featured as quote of the day on google? It’s the one about keeping your floors clean 🙂

• jes

2006/08/16 at 8:49 am

I’M CACKLING OVER HERE.

Poor Chuck. I love how his eyes look so forlorn – you can tell that implicitly trusts you.

• Trisha

2006/08/16 at 8:50 am

I don’t think dogs mind – I think they just want love and attention.

• Maura

2006/08/16 at 8:50 am

The only thing that would have made this better is possibly some classical music playing in the background.

What willpower.

• Ms. Pants

2006/08/16 at 8:55 am

Gah! Cutest puppy ever!!!

By the by, my oh-so-special-and-personalized google homepage today featured a quote by you in the quotey section. The one about clean floors and mental illness. You make us fellow crazies proud. 🙂

• 6degrees

2006/08/16 at 8:55 am

I!WANT!ME!AN!CHUCK!!!

That is the cutest damn dog on the entire planet!

So, my neighboring co-workers are looking oddly at me for the incessant tittering… see, I work in an office where it is so bloody quiet, you could hear a fly fart… please, DON’T do that to me again… o.k., maybe ONCE more…

• Karen Rani

2006/08/16 at 9:02 am

You need to put that dog in ballet, cuz he gots da balance.

I can totally see him doing Nutcracker.

*snort*

• Wonked

2006/08/16 at 9:03 am

Resisting treats is one thing, but professional modeling is much more difficult:

• Strizz

2006/08/16 at 9:05 am

Chuck is such a good doggie

• Gina in LV

2006/08/16 at 9:05 am

Chuck should be nominated for sainthood. Such a sweet boy!

• Strizz

2006/08/16 at 9:05 am

Chuck is such a good doggie, my dog wouldn’t have sat still for one. My dog is a bad bad shitty diaper eating dog.

• The Bold Soul

2006/08/16 at 9:09 am

Hysterical! I’m sitting here with a Golden Retriever who can’t even hold ONE treat on her nose before she goes berserk. Chuck is one in a million!

• E

2006/08/16 at 9:09 am

My favorite part is him licking his chops half way thru. I’m amazed he’s not drooling. My two drool when I even say the word, “treat.”

• Melanie

2006/08/16 at 9:10 am

Gee Whiz. And mine can only eat apples. Can Chuck come over and teach my puppy a few tricks?

He’s brilliant!

• BlackCelt

2006/08/16 at 9:14 am

Poor Chuck. Such a nice docile dog that is always getting picked on by his humans for their amusement. Further proof that dogs are superior beings for their patience with all of us.

• Brad Martin

2006/08/16 at 9:14 am

Sanchez would’ve eaten my hand if it got that close to his mouth with a treat. I have to sort of lob them in his direction and run like hell.

• moppet

2006/08/16 at 9:15 am

Delurking to say…stuffonmycat.com’s got nothing on Chuck. He does look resigned to his fate though, doesn’t he?

• dylan

2006/08/16 at 9:15 am

hahaha!!! I LOVE it. how did you guys ever trian Chuck to stand there while you place only god knows what on his head? You must have doggie crack bribes or something.

• BlogThatMommy

2006/08/16 at 9:16 am

I am soooo trying that . . . except I’m using my 4-year-old and M&M’s. I will let you know if it’s as entertaining!

• lightspring

2006/08/16 at 9:16 am

He obviously was presuming that he’d be allowed to eat ALL the treats after whatever strange rite you were performing was over. god that dog loves you!

In the video still he doesn’t even look like a real dog, just some bizarre dog statue with leather pieces balanced on it.

Chuck could totally turn me from a Cat Person into a Dog Person.

• NixMom

2006/08/16 at 9:17 am

I’m calling Cesar Milan and telling on you…

=0)

Valerie

• DH.

2006/08/16 at 9:21 am

Woo-hoo! Doggie Jenga!

• Julie

2006/08/16 at 9:22 am

That poor dog tries so hard. 🙁 It’s worth the torture.

• nonahs

2006/08/16 at 9:23 am

Hilarious! I could do that with my parents’ dog, who is very well trained and will put up with anything, but my beagles would spazz completely if I tried putting food anywhere that wasn’t in their mouths.

• Carrie Johnston

2006/08/16 at 9:25 am

AWESOME! I’ve tried stacking milkbones on my dog’s head, but she can’t even wait for me to place one on there before she’s tilting down to eat it. That’s one very cool dog you have.

• AW

2006/08/16 at 9:25 am

Hey, I’m more impressed with your stacking ablities than anything.