Because of the relatively low number of beaches and recreational lakes in Utah, the idea of a shoe other than a flip flop dedicated to summer was somewhat lost on me until I visited Massachusetts a couple of weeks ago. I grew up in the Eighties when “topsiders” were in style even if there was no boat within a five-state radius, so when I saw these popping up in the shoe sections of major stores I just thought they had made their way back around again. Like leggings and shoulder pads. You know what other part of the Eighties that needs to make its way back again? Stephanie. Amanda. Courtney. HEATHER.
Damn straight, Alex P. Keaton. MALLORY.
Everywhere I looked in Massachusetts someone had on a pair of boat shoes, and because I was going to spend some time at the beach while I was there I got a pair of my own (see number 9, thank you for the gift, Matt). Here I’ve put together a round up of some of the more popular brands and styles along with some other beach-going footwear that will get you through an active, water-filled summer, the season I hold on to as tight as Lennie holds on to a puppy. So, you know, I’ll probably be digging my car out of the snow in these things.
1. Women’s Sebago® Beachcomber Star, Navy $27.50
2. Vie Boat Show $69.99
3. Keds ‘Champion Jute’ Slip-On $44.95
4. Ralph Lauren Collection Bonner Canvas Boat Shoe $99.95
5. Tretorn Smögensson Canvas $44.99
6. Adidas Women’s Climacool Boat Sleek Water Shoes $54
7. Minnetonka Boat Moc $39.99
8. Timberland Earthkeeper Lace-Up Sneaker $75
9. Timberland Women’s Classic 2 Eye Boat Shoe $64
10. Keds Beacon Boat Shoe $39.95
11. Lacoste Marice Par Slip On Sneakers $76.36
12. Sperry Top-Sider Women’s Authentic Original 2-Eye Boat Shoe, Navy $75