Introducing…

Marlo Iris Armstrong
7lbs. 15oz.
21 inches long
born at 1:53 AM, 06/14/2009, her official due date

Her middle name was chosen to honor Jon’s aunt Iris who passed away last summer, a generous, gentle woman whose life was filled with all sorts of music. Her first name? Well, it just kicks a lot of ass.

Marlo looks remarkably more like a Hamilton than an Armstrong and probably resembles my father more than anyone else. Although, she has an incredibly deep dimple on the left side of her face, something she inherited from two of Jon’s sisters.

Leta looked very much like a frog when she was a newborn. Marlo looks like a glowworm.

Labor was an absolute thrill ride that I will write about in detail later this week, but first I need to get some sleep, not easy when this baby takes to picketing and lobbying congress when removed from my boob.

You may call her Marlo, Lo, Lil Donette, or Butternut Boo.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes and prayers. It’s been a blast having you all along for the ride.

3,248 Comments
  • Angela

2009/06/15 at 8:39 pm

Congrats to you and your family. I love how her initials spell out Mia.

• libraryhipster

2009/06/15 at 8:39 pm

She’s so little and shiny! The raccoon part of me wants to wash her in a stream, look at her really closely and then put her in my pocket! Congratulations!

• Yajaira

2009/06/15 at 8:39 pm

She is absolutely beautiful! Gorgeous name! And look at those perfect eyes and lips! I’m so happy for your family. Congratulations to you all!

• Cautionary Girl

2009/06/15 at 8:39 pm

Those eyes! My god!

Congrats! Today was an agonizing wait, and Marlo Iris was definitely worth it. Beautiful name for a beautiful baby girl.

• Kymmi

2009/06/15 at 8:39 pm

she’s perfect! can’t wait to see a picture of her and her older sister together. good work, mama.

• Rio Gringa

2009/06/15 at 8:39 pm

I happen to think that a lot of newborn babies are just really ugly and look kind of gross. But I can honestly say that Marlo is absolutely beautiful–that picture of her sleeping is amazing. Congratulations!

• Eastland

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

She is just GORGEOUS! Love the name — cute cute cute.
    Congrats 🙂

• Ellisha

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations! she’s so adorable.

• Molly Chase

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

Oh, she’s gorgeous. Welcome, Lo.

• Kimberly

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

I love her name and she’s beautiful! Congratulations!

• Abby Johns

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

She is a doll! I absolutely love the name, and the picture that Jon posted of Leta meeting Marlo was simply beautiful. Makes me want to get pregnant tonight and have another one, but I think I will wait until my little Ava is older. I hope Marlo isn’t too hard on her parents 🙂

• Katie

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

She has Leta’s lips!! The name is amazing. And she is beautiful. Congratulations!

• BethanyWD

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations! Amazing!

• Melissa

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

Little Lo. 🙂 I’m partial to Lo, as it’s also one of my nicknames too!

Congratulations to you, Jon, Leta, and your happy family. Honestly, it feels like I have a new niece!

Thank you for sharing your life with all of us, Heather.

• Jana

2009/06/15 at 8:40 pm

Wow. She’s really something! Congrats and thanks for sharing this with us.

• Anne

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

Aww! Congrats Heather, Jon, and Leta to adding Marlo! Agreed the name is totally kick ass. She’s adorable, as expected! Glad everything went so well! 🙂

• doranb

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

WHAT AN UGLY BABY!

Okay, I was just checking to see if you were reading. She’s fantastically beautiful. Congrats, and my best to all of you.

• Sarah@Small Slice

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

She is so sweet! I love her name.

• Kori

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

Congratulations! Killer name for a beautiful kiddo!

• Liz Voss

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

Congrats, Dooce! (And Blurb! And Leta!) Marlo is beautiful : )

• Ellisha

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

Congratulations! she’s so adorable.

• Nicole

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

Shit. I named my daughter Marlowe when she was born last year thinking that there wouldn’t be 14 of them in her kindergarten class….. now I guess I’m left to sit back and wait for it to pop up as the number one name of 2009.

But she is cute. And the name DOES rock.

• Rebecca

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

Welcome to the world, Marlo!

Poop normally, or we’ll all hear about it.

P.S. One of my test words was “swimmers.” Are these things themed?

• Nicole

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

Thank you for sharing this experience with us this weekend. I felt closer to you than most friends and I was so excited as each new tweet arrived. Congratulations to your beautiful family!

• eddeaux

2009/06/15 at 8:41 pm

She’s beautiful… finally. And I think I’ll call her Lo. I’ll be all, “Hey Lo, what’s crackin?”

• Kelly

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

Congratulations! I’m impressed you have time to blog. She is adorable and has a great name

• Katie

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

• Debra

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

She is amazing, perfect, gorgeous, and amazingly-perfectly-gorgeous, too!!

Congratulations to the entire incredible family, and welcome to the world, Marlo! 🙂

• Lisafashionista

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

I’ve been awaiting Marlo’s arrival almost as anxiously as I did the birth of my sister’s two babies. As a reader since the pre-Leta days, I am so happy that baby #2 is a moment that could come true happily for you.

• Meredith

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

Congratulations!! She’s so gorgeous and I really really love the name. Though my name is around much more, when I was young . . I never knew anyone else with my name. I love having a non-run of the mill name, and I know Marlo will too.

• Alice Q. Foodie

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

What a beauty! Congratulations and GREAT name. Marlo Thomas comes to mind.

• Emily

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

Congratulations Heather!! She’s so beautiful!

• Nicole

2009/06/15 at 8:42 pm

• Rev Dr Mom

2009/06/15 at 8:43 pm

She’s beautiful! Congratulations!!!

Iris was my beloved mother-in-law’s name and is my one-year-old granddaughter’s middle name—lot’s of good associations.

I’m so happy for all of you!

• nexy

2009/06/15 at 8:43 pm

Congratulations! Your daughter is beautiful 🙂 The last picture is my favorite.

• Julia

2009/06/15 at 8:43 pm

Congratulations! This page took a while to load so you know how many people wanted to see her!

• Bertha

2009/06/15 at 8:44 pm

Oh Heather! She is so beautiful! You and Jon have the “making stunning children” thing down cold!

• Caasi

2009/06/15 at 8:44 pm

Well done and congrats. She’s beautiful.

And, by the way, you have send my ovaries into overdrive. I saw pictures of her and the first thing that went through my head was “MUST GO AND GET PREGNANT RIGHT THIS SECOND”.

• Milo

2009/06/15 at 8:44 pm

Wooow, she’s gorgeous, congrats guys! We’re all expecting your upcoming posts on life with Lo.

Leta, Chuck and Coco’s reactions must be fully detailed.

• Addie

2009/06/15 at 8:44 pm

she is phenominally beautiful as is her name!! :). congrats on your sweet little girl 🙂

• anna

2009/06/15 at 8:44 pm

Marlo is an adorable name! She is very cute.

• Malia

2009/06/15 at 8:45 pm

She’s just gorgeous! Congrats!!

• Audy

2009/06/15 at 8:45 pm

She is beyond adorable!! Congrats on making a non-wormy looking baby! 🙂 Love the name. Hope Leta settles into big sisterhood with ease..

• ktjane

2009/06/15 at 8:45 pm

congratulations! she’s absolutely adorable!

• Lo

2009/06/15 at 8:45 pm

all this time i was waiting anxiously for the name, and here it turns out to be (practically) my own! it’s my pleasure to welcome another *Lo* to the world 🙂

• Jenn

2009/06/15 at 8:46 pm

Congrats to the whole family! Not gonna lie..when I quickly glanced, I swore you said her name was Mario and I just shook my head and chuckled. Then I realized it was Marlo and OMG it’s PERFECT!

• Noura

2009/06/15 at 8:46 pm

Congratulations Armstrong family! And to Marlo–welcome to the world! You have amazing, loving, hilarious parents…you’re a lucky kid! Lots of internet love and good wishes coming your way!

• kat

2009/06/15 at 8:46 pm

welcome to the world miss marlo. you are so cute! and congrats to big sis leta! 🙂

• Kari

2009/06/15 at 8:46 pm

Congratulations–she’s gorgeous!! May your sleep be as much as possible, your anxiety be low, and your poop be plentiful! 🙂

• madge

2009/06/15 at 8:47 pm

YAY! I haven’t refreshed this often in years!

Congratulations to the entire Blurbodoocery!