Recovery

Last Thursday Jon and I headed to Palm Springs to attend Camp Mighty, but not before I noticed that Coco was not acting loco. In fact, she was calmer, more still and morose than Chuck, and when she refused to eat breakfast I knew something was wrong. Coco would eat a tire if it was not attached to a car. Preferably a tire covered in her own feces.

My mother was going to watch the kids, and we were supposed to board the dogs for the weekend. But my instinct told me that Coco needed to see a vet. The rest of this post could just be a neverending string of one THANK YOU after another to Tyrant for what he did for us and that dog. Because if we had dropped her off at the kennel she’d be dead.

The vet had not seen dehydration like that in a dog in years. Two X-rays and a lab inspection of her stool sample showed that she was, well, very very sick. So sick that she’d need to eat and be let outside every three hours. Tyrant texted all of that and a picture of a slightly more perky Coco Thursday evening after we landed in Palm Springs. Not to worry, he said. He’d take care of both dogs. We should relax and have fun with friends.

In the meantime I was navigating the security line at the airport with my space boot. I’ll admit that the boot was a hell of a lot easier to maneuver than crutches, but that moving walkway between terminals? I had to stand to the side because walking was too painful. You guys. The daughter of the Avon World Sales Leader does not stand on a moving walkway. The daughter of the Avon World Sales Leader RACES down a moving walkway to show you that you will never navigate a terminal with that kind of dexterity JUST STOP TRYING.

So I picked up my foot in the boot and set it atop the hand rail so that when anyone looked at me and wondered, “Why is that idiot just standing there?” I could point to the boot and say, “I just got back from the moon. I’m tired. SUE ME.”

Have you guys ever been to the Palm Springs Airport? Because it epitomizes every reason I love Southern California: you have to walk outside to get from your gate to baggage claim. That’s how confident they are in the weather, that it’s going to be so fucking spectacular you will totally forget you’re in an airport and instead are strolling through a palm tree-lined path to redemption.

If it’s raining? Complimentary umbrellas.

We rented a convertible Mustang and spent a few hours touring the midcentury architecture and marveling at the field of windmills just outside town.

While reconnecting with old friends and meeting online friends in the flesh for the first time, my mother was battling a sinus infection and spreading it to Leta back in Salt Lake. My mother could barely form words to describe how horrible she felt, and that’s not the first time I was reminded how lucky we are to have the help that we do. We have the most amazing, generous people in our lives.

So generous, in fact, that they are willing to pull up to passenger pick-up at the airport in this:

Remember this?

Tyrant jumped out and shouted so that the surrounding crowd of people could hear, “Hey, Heather! Hey, Jon! I LOVE YOUR CAR! It drives like butter!”

• lisdom

2011/11/14 at 11:29 am

I just love Tyrant.

• dianemaggipintovoiceover

2011/11/14 at 11:39 am

ohmyfuckinghell hilarious. i too <3 tyrant. great picture.

>>Sorry, Leta. Next year we’re not going to Disneyland in the fall. We’re going to the Palm Springs Airport.<< and we might even take you! do you travel with the kids much?

• kmpinkel

2011/11/14 at 11:40 am

Oh My God! He feels very secure in his position. Either that or its pay backs from dealing with CoCo! Ha!

• awholelotofnothing

2011/11/14 at 11:44 am

I had a boot for 6 weeks with a 1-year-old and a 2-year-old. It gave every excuse in the world to not have to run after them, except it wore out my back while walking with a limp.

• suebob

2011/11/14 at 11:44 am

Those windmills freak me out. They make my head all spinny!

Glad to hear Coco is better.

• Becky Cochrane

2011/11/14 at 11:44 am

And JUST LIKE THAT, Tyrant became the Valedictorian of Vengeance.

(Hope everyone’s feeling better now.)

• slappyintheface

2011/11/14 at 11:58 am

How did he get that car? …. while taking care of a sick dog? Master multitasker that fella is.

• mybottlesup

2011/11/14 at 12:01 pm

i love tyrant. can you clone him?

• jan001

2011/11/14 at 12:04 pm

One of my cats developed what I, reading between the lines, believe to be the same problem Coco had. No idea how it happened but she was a sick kitty by the time she SHOWED me she was.

Coco all better and back to her loco self, I take it?

(Welcome home!)

• knolting

2011/11/14 at 12:11 pm

Thank the tiny baby jesus for Tyrant! I’m glad to hear Coco is doing ok 🙂

• megrit411

2011/11/14 at 12:13 pm

Awesome. Sauce.

Glad Coco is doing better. Here’s hoping she’s back to her crazy antics ASAP!

• dragonfish

2011/11/14 at 12:40 pm

can i please, please, PLEASE be tyrant’s fruit fly? fag hag? pen pal? DOG DAMN he is friggin awesome.
    jami <3 tyrant forever.

hope leta coco and your foot are on the mend. i will say that cast looks like it could use some bedazzlin - when i had mine for EIGHT WEEKS this spring i just busted out the glue gun and sparkles. if people are going to stare, it might as well be at the silver KISS logo in rhinestones, am i right???

happy mending.
    p.s. tyrant - call me!

• Monkey

2011/11/14 at 12:55 pm

Aww, poor Coco..Any idea what caused her to get that sick?

• kristanhoffman

2011/11/14 at 12:58 pm

Love the windmill pics!

Also was wondering the same thing as Monkey: what was wrong with Coco?

• lauriek

2011/11/14 at 1:14 pm

Good intuition and lucky for Coco! I have beagles and if one of them skips even a single meal, it’s off to the vet. These dogs may not be able to speak but they can certainly communicate.

• annecat

2011/11/14 at 1:23 pm

The Maui airport is kind of like that. As if anyone needs more reasons to go there!

• ChrisB

2011/11/14 at 2:47 pm

Hey! That place you are describing and photographing above? That is my neighborhood!
    And yes, we do consider ourselves lucky that we get to live in a place where the airport has an open air architecture, because, well, ceilings are not needed.
    I am glad you had fun and that Coco was well taken care off by Super Tyrant!

• jenwilson

2011/11/14 at 3:30 pm

Oh, that last line made me laugh. Out loud. Which really hurt my goodbye-gallbladder incisions.

I’m glad that you and Jon could get away together for a couple days. You needed it! 🙂

• kellyjoco

2011/11/14 at 4:05 pm

Fernando’s ride !

• jesterqueen

2011/11/14 at 6:37 pm

Is Coco going to be OK? Because right now, in my mind, she’s left hanging dehydrated at the vet’s office or possibly in Tyrant’s friend’s maroon lighnting-bolt-striped-butter-driving PT Cruiser. What was the cause of the dehydration?

• Janice

2011/11/14 at 7:20 pm

Happy for you that you had an opportunity to get away, to enjoy, to have an awesome support system that includes an assistant (albeit a whistler) that will take care of sick dogs, but…

like so many, what about Coco?

• ambermentz

2011/11/14 at 8:11 pm

Tyrant’s adorable. The end.

• Anu

2011/11/14 at 8:51 pm

Holy cow!! Tyrant sure knows how to get back at you. Can I borrow him for few weeks 🙂

• katamigan

2011/11/14 at 9:32 pm

Love the car!

Watch your back while wearing that aircast. My boyfriend just got over a pulled muscle in his back that resulted from the aircast/limp he had.

• ladygray

2011/11/14 at 9:37 pm

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA! oh shit. that’s amazing.

i’m so glad Coco is better. I hope your mom, Leta and your foot follow suit.

• tallnoe

2011/11/14 at 9:45 pm

Traveling with a boot is always fun… Well, maybe not. But keep the booth – sometimes it can come in handy. I used it to get on my planes to Ecuador first when I went there… It worked… didn’t even need it!

Glad Coco is better.

Also, I concur with Katamigan… it hurts your leg – the other one. I was all kinds of messed up.

• momof8

2011/11/14 at 10:22 pm

So when are you guys gonna marry Tyrant? He’s awesome!

• sybann

2011/11/15 at 5:25 am

Whatever you pay him, it’s not enough. 🙂

• Ralemap

2011/11/15 at 7:02 am

Add me to the “I heart Tyrant” club. That’s just magnificient!

• Palola

2011/11/15 at 12:32 pm

I can’t emphasize enough how much I love Tyrant. He’s exactly my kind of people!

• rebeccacdm

2011/11/15 at 9:02 pm

Ah, thank you, Miss Heather and (actually more so) Tyrant.

I was all sad in my business-travel-hotel-room in Denver, whilst getting nostalgic about the windmills in Palm Springs (adding to the sad) and then BOOM! Tyrant in THE PT Cruiser. I just laughed until I cried. Thank you all!!!

• Christal

2011/11/16 at 1:08 am

My boxer pup was down for the count yesterday also. But they said intestinal infection… he got so weak, he couldn’t even stand up. Hubby hit the vet asap. Just water & meds yesterday, then chicken broth & water today. Adding chicken tomorrow. And of course he’s our chow hound. He spent my dinner time drooling at me. But he’s up and about and even ran some when I got home. At least he didn’t barf… but it’s pretty worrisome when they don’t move…

I’m headed to a boot on Friday… Bad time for ice and snow! Yuck. Last time was in July… much better planning.

• apostate

2011/11/16 at 1:29 am

OMG! Fernando’s car! It’s Fernando’s car! btw I totally knew before clicking on your link. I’m that good.