- The Big Picture: Autumn around the world
- Clinical depression is now the second-leading cause of global disability
- America, as labeled by an Australian who’s never been here
- Yoko Ono’s video for “Bad Dancer” featuring among others Ira Glass, Questlove, Mike D, and Roberta Flack.
- Powerful portraits of secluded cultures on the brink of extinction
- It really, really, really hurts to watch this: “That is a tough door.”
But when we get too self-absorbed, we miss running’s deeper beauty: its magnetic power to bring us together. My closest friends are those I’ve run with; one need only attempt a solo interval workout to recognize the value of teammates. In a race, the other runners are not rivals; they are comrades in the war we each wage within ourselves, a leg up on our journeys to new levels of self-realization. Personal bests are rarely set in isolation. Ours is not an individual sport.
- An ex-cop’s guide to not getting arrested
- So so good: Pompplamoose’s mash-up of “Royals” by Lorde, “California Love” by 2Pac and Dr. Dre, and “Loser” by Beck.
- Revising history, photographer inserts herself into old photographs.
Cody Foster & Co’s statement is a sad, rotten salmagundi: a borderline delusional defense that comes weeks too late to be earnest about anything except the repeated insistence that the only thing wrong with design piracy is daring to speak out publicly against it.
- Super awkward montage of students mistaking a video camera for a stills camera
- Who needs yoga when this exists?
- “You’re all idiots. I’m pretty sure these people OWN those puppies’ parents. They can put them back with their mom when they’re done shooting. And those couches are like three inches off the floor. Get over yourselves. I can’t believe you people are arguing over puppies.”
- Some of my favorite recent tweets:
I bet anyone who's had to fight a bear has snuck at least one hug in
— Sarah Beattie (@nachosarah) October 24, 2013
If I had a racehorse I'd name it "Gambling is a Serious Illness"
— rap game glenna (@glenna_opt) August 5, 2012
Next time the pharmacist asks me if I'm pregnant I'm going to be like "no but there's a quick fix for that."
— Zoë Klar (@madamezooble) November 6, 2013
An 80s movie montage of my password jogging and practicing martial arts until it's strong enough.
— patrick (@tastefactory) November 5, 2013
if you tackle a man who is about to light a cigarette and say "dude, gas leak" he's just going to thank you and you got to tackle someone
— chuuch (@ch000ch) November 7, 2013
Why do people try to trick babies into thinking airplanes are delicious?
— lafix (@lafix) October 3, 2012
Never trust anyone who says you need to come out of your shell because let's start with the fact that they think you're a turtle
— andy lassner (@andylassner) October 7, 2012
It's not mandatory to terrorize student drivers, but you should.
— molly (@Molly_Kats) November 5, 2013
Matt Lauer is going to get a prostate exam on the Today show. Not to be outdone Barbara Walters is going to get embalmed on The View.
— Gary Janetti (@GaryJanetti) November 7, 2013
I'm Southern but not "dinosaurs were really Jesus horses" Southern.
— c o r s o (@WhyofCorso) April 21, 2013